COUNTY PRESS RELEASE
Los Alamos County Council and Community Services Department will celebrate the completion of the rink improvement project with a ribbon cutting event on Wednesday, December 22 at noon at the Los Alamos County rink.
The Rink Improvement Project began in August 2019 as a Council Approved Capital Improvement Project with a budget of $ 1.85 million and included:
- the demolition of the existing wooden structure housing dressing rooms 3 and 4 and the referee change area; demolish the rink operations storage area;
- redesigning the toilet areas, incorporating changing rooms 1 and 2 for an expanded toilet facility;
- construction of six team locker rooms and a referees locker room as well as a new warehouse for ice rink operations on the site of the current wooden structure;
- replace the existing rooftop furnace with a larger, more efficient unit to better heat the toilets, the boiler room and the new locker; and
- the addition of a fire alarm system to the boiler room and toilets, a new installation of lockers and the Zamboni building and equipment on the east side of the rink.
The project was completed on budget at $ 1,842,000 ($ 8,000 remaining) in February 2020.
Built in 1936 and repeatedly upgraded, the Los Alamos County Ice Rink is the only NHL-compliant refrigerated outdoor rink in New Mexico. The rink offers public skating, hockey and skating lessons from mid-November to February. For opening hours, prices and other information, visit the website County web page.
FREE entry, skate rentals and hot drinks will be offered to everyone at the rink during the ribbon cutting event.