COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Denmark’s largest cinema chain closed all of its cinemas on Tuesday because a 17-year-old employee was one of three people killed in a weekend shooting at a shopping center .
Nordisk Film Biografer, which has 23 theaters across the country, said on Facebook that the company made the decision out of respect for the victims – the teenager it employed, a 17-year-old girl and a 47-year-old Russian man. — and “to discuss the situation with our staff.”
One of the chain’s locations is at Field’s shopping center, located on the outskirts of the Danish capital.
Four other people were hospitalized in critical but stable condition after sustaining gunshot wounds in Sunday’s shooting. Authorities said a 22-year-old Dane in custody apparently picked people to shoot at random.
In total, around two dozen people were injured, most in the panicked stampede after gunshots rang out in the mall. Neither the shooter nor the victims can be named under a court order.
“We stand together in these difficult times,” said Crown Prince Frederik, who attended a memorial service for the victims held outside Field Mall on Tuesday evening.
“We are all here tonight to commemorate those who have been killed,” Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told the crowd of several thousand who also included senior officials, firefighters and first responders. A minute of silence was observed and several of the thousands of people had red eyes and were visibly moved. Many kissed during the event.
“Tonight we can feel the heartbreak, tonight we can feel the love,” Copenhagen Mayor Sophie H. Andersen said from a stage that had been set up outside the mall. She spoke before a musical interlude by a female choir.
The area was full of flowers, lit candles and handwritten notes.
Authorities said the suspect acted alone and ruled out terrorism as a motive. On Monday, the suspect was held for 24 days in a secure mental health facility on preliminary charges of murder and attempted murder.
Stine Rysgaard, spokesperson for the mall, said the multi-storey mall with more than 130 stores remains closed until at least July 11. She said the mall was properly secured but declined to give details, citing the ongoing investigation.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION