PORTSMOUTH – Preparations are well underway at the Strawbery Banke Museum ahead of the seasonal opening of Labrie Family Skating at Puddle Dock Pond, the outdoor ice rink. Weather permitting, the rink is scheduled to open for its eighth season on âFrozen Fridayâ, Friday, November 26 at 9 am. For updates on the opening of the ice rink, visit StrawberyBanke.org/Skate.
Rink Services Group, the Exeter-based company that operates the Strawbery Banke ice rink, has spent the last few weeks working with teams of specialists to assemble the ice liner and coolant tubes and build the surrounding rail fence. Additionally, RSG works with Proulx Oil and Propane for the ice fireplace, Trane and Black Dog Crane and Rigging to install the cooler as well as with Progressive Electrical Service for the lighting, sound and cooler connections.
âAfter a successful 2020-21 season of safe outdoor recreation, the museum looks forward to another highly anticipated skating season,â said Lawrence J. Yerdon, President and CEO of the Strawbery Banke Museum. Labrie Family Skateboarding at Puddle Dock Pond helps make Strawbery Banke and Portsmouth a year-round destination, serving as an outdoor space for friends, family and the community to gather outside and enjoy the months. ‘winter.”
The magic of sliding on the ice:Skating at Strawbery Banke has become a winter tradition
Labrie Family Skate at Strawbery Banke opened in December 2014 and now welcomes skaters every year to the unique outdoor site located among historic homes on the museum campus.
Labrie Family Skate at Puddle Dock Pond offers:
- Daily public skating. Entrance tickets, skate rentals and sharpening services are available at the TYCO Visitor Center. To respect the capacity of the rink, public skating takes place in timed sessions with admission tickets on a first come, first served basis.
- Once the rink is open, the weekly schedule is posted on fraisebanke.org/skate and on Facebook. The 2021-22 schedule offers two hours of free public skating each week. The free skating sessions take place Tuesday evening and Saturday morning.
- Ice rink rentals are available for the holiday season, company outings and winter celebrations.
- Learn to Skate Lessons: The first session of this year’s Learn to Skate lessons begins the week of November 30th. Session 2 begins the week of January 17th. Pre-registration required.
- A smooth skating surface is professionally maintained with a Zamboni sponsored by Exeter Hospital.
- Adaptive Ice Weather for those with physical challenges is offered weekly, in partnership with the UNH Northeast Passage.
- Ephemeral shows offered on certain dates throughout the season by Ice Dance International
Ice rink schedules and prices
Time permits; the ice rink is open every day from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., except Christmas Day and reduced hours on Christmas Eve. The rink opens at 11 a.m. on Wednesdays due to scheduled ice maintenance.
During the Candlelight Walk under the Stars on December 4, 5, 11, 12, 18 and 19, skaters can purchase tickets for skating only – it is not necessary to purchase a candle light walk ticket under the stars to skate.
Ticket prices for the 2021-22 season are $ 12 for ages 5 and up. The skate rental price is $ 6 and skate sharpening is available for $ 7. Members of the Strawbery Banke Museum receive a 50% discount on skating tickets. All visitors are invited to consult the website or the Facebook page for daily schedule updates.
Prepare, prepare, celebrate:Holiday events around the coast
More information, timetables and lessons
For more information visit StrawberyBanke.org/Skate. For schedules, lessons and event rentals, contact Kayley Vavra at (603) 422-0600 or [email protected] For more information on sponsorship, contact Wendy McCoole at (603) 422-7502 or [email protected]
Labrie Family Skating at Puddle Dock Pond, 14 Hancock Street, Portsmouth, NH
Building the temporary ice rink each year is an ambitious and expensive endeavor; Strawbery Banke appreciates the support of Rink Services Group, The Labrie Group, Aland Realty, Proulx Oil and Propane, Ambit Engineering, Inc., Exeter Hospital, St. Mary’s Bank, Hampshire Development Corporation, Living Innovations, Ice Dance International (IDI), Trane and Black Dog Crane and rigging.