MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ – Almost every kid in New Jersey has a snowy day on Friday, so get out there and enjoy it! We’ve rounded up the best toboggan hills in County Monmouth:
- Holmdel Park in Holmdel: when there is snow on the ground and conditions are safe, Holmdel Park, Longstreet Rd., Holmdel, is the place to go for tobogganing. Call Holmdel Park at 732-946-9562 for current tobogganing conditions.
- Telegraph Hill in Holmdel, near the PNC Bank Arts Center (our favorite)
- Beacon Hill Country Club, in the Leonardo section of Middletown (the place where last winter a group of teenagers from Middletown rescued two young children who sledged on a frozen pond and crossed the ice. The Middletown boys were interviewed on “Good Morning America” ââand honored by the Governor. This Story: Middletown Teens Save Children Who Sledded Into Frozen Pond)
- The very steep hill at Atlantic Highlands Primary School (maybe too steep for small children; children were injured on this hill)
- Wolf Hill in the Wolf Hill Recreation Area in Oceanport
- Cheesequake State Park in Matawan
- Tower Hill at Red Bank
- The Hill by Howell Public Library
In December 2020, the Monmouth County Park System actually closed two of its most popular tobogganing hills (Wolf Hill and Holmdel Park) due to the coronavirus and fears the hills were too crowded.
From Friday January 7:
- The Thompson Park ski hut will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Holmdel Park toboggan run will open at 8 a.m.
- Conditions are hazardous for skating and ice fishing at all locations in the park.
You can rent cross-country skis at the Thompson Park Ski Hut in Middletown. The cabin is open on Friday.
Cross-country ski and snowshoe rental
Thompson Park Ski hut, Lincroft
December 15-March 15 9 am-5pm, conditions permitting * * Conditions change rapidly. Please check the updated conditions and opening hours before heading to the park. The material must be returned before 5 p.m.
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing equipment are available for hire at the Ski Hut, conditions permitting. Skis and / or snowshoes are available on a first come, first served basis. We now offer ski equipment for children from 2 years old.
The ski hut is located next to the parking lot of the three barns, near the off-leash dog area.
Our procedures are as follows:
- Upon arrival, check in with the staff at the ski hut.
- Once you have received your rental equipment, you can proceed to the Theater Barn to prepare for your adventure.
- The capacity of the ski hut and theater barn is limited. Face coverings are recommended inside buildings and social distancing should be observed in all areas.
Daily rental rate:
- Ski equipment: $ 20 per person; $ 15 per child 8 years old and under
- Snowshoes: $ 15 per pair
- Rentals now accept cash, checks AND credit cards. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Apple and Samsung Pay.
For more information regarding equipment rental, call 732-842-4000, ext. 4312.
The cross-country ski trails are groomed at Thompson Park when there is sufficient snow and conditions are favorable. (Six inches or more of snow.) Here is the Thompson Park cross-country ski trail map.
Receive great local news. Ssign up to receive Patch emails: https://patch.com/subscribe Contact this Patch reporter: [email protected]