As the beautiful late spring weather approaches, we crave one thing: road trips! Whether it’s long or short trips, there’s nothing like stowing the car away for a few days and setting off for a total change of scenery. Time spent with your loved ones seems easier to find when you are away from the daily distractions and responsibilities of daily living at home. Here are some places that are suitable for beautiful scenery, fun activities, and lots of new restaurants and places to explore.
It might seem a little silly to travel to a destination within an hour of home, but with time and money increasingly scarce these days, places close to home are more appealing than ever. . In less than an hour, you too will be able to lounge on the deck of your chic boutique hotel, feeling miles away from the monotony of everyday life. Turn on the office early and forgo the Friday night traffic as you stroll to dinner at COMO at Carillion Point. Wake up early the next day and cruise along the water’s edge in an electric duffy boat while admiring the breathtaking homes and personal seaplanes along Yarrow Point. Pass under Bridge 520 for a new perspective and a fun photoshoot. Order ahead and make up the most appetizing picnic in DERU Market, served with roast chicken sandwiches on fresh focaccia, fresh herb fries and a piece of chocolate cake with salted peanut butter frosting. Camp for the day at Waverly Park and soak up the sun, people-watching, and if you’re feeling brave, take a dip in the cold water. As a Seattleite, I often find myself on the shores of Puget Sound, so hanging out along Lake Washington offers a whole new perspective.
Perched above the shore of Lake Chelan is a vacation community offering the best of what Chelan has to offer. From spacious outdoor areas for sunbathing, hanging out or dining alfresco, to thoughtfully designed interiors perfect for your next family reunion. Spend your days cruising around Lake Chelan and your nights relaxing around a fire pit, swimming in the pool, or cooking up something tasty. Venture to a blueberry farm for a hearty breakfast before spending the day on the water or visiting local vineyards. When it’s sunny and you crave new open spaces, look no further than Lake Chelan.
- Blueberry Hill Farm
- 1315 Washington St. Manson, WA 98831
- Blueberry Hills serves breakfast and lunch from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. year-round. They are known for their fresh, hand-rolled crust for pies, Danish yeast waffles, blintz, and a 400 mile French sandwich.
What do wildflowers, scenic views, and dozens of trails for hiking or biking have in common? They can all be found at Winthrop at this time of year. When looking for the sun and empty trails, leave the hustle and bustle of the I90 corridor and head to the North Cascades. After a day spent among the flowers, settle into your cabin on Patterson Lake to fish, kayak and SUP until sunset. Wake up for an early morning horseback ride or a leisurely morning paddle on the lake. Make sure you stop Pizza East 20 for a calzone and a few squares of hand-dipped caramel before leaving town.
- Sheri’s Sweet Shop
- 207 Riverside Avenue Winthrop, WA 98862
- Offering hand dipped chocolate, loose candy and ice cream.
- Lewis butte
- An eight kilometer gently sloping hike through fields of wildflowers and a view of the Methow Valley.
- Patterson Mountain
- A four mile hike up Patterson Mountain with great views along the Methow from Twisp to Mazama.
Go away in Glennwood, Washington
Have you ever dreamed of owning a tiny cabin in the woods? Don’t like the ‘brutal’ part of camping or the headache of loud campers nearby, but still love being in nature? This collection of cabins is set among 80 acres in the woods and offers the comforts of home without the distractions. Choose from one or two bed cabins with private showers, toilets, sinks, mini-fridges and stoves. Spend your evenings by the fire and your days among the trees. To create your own remote nature experience, be sure to check out Getaway. A new outpost in Mount Vernon, WA, will open in June.
- Backwoods Brewing Co.
- 1162 B Wind River Hwy, Carson, WA 98610
- Backwoods Brewing Company is a family owned, locally operated craft brewery. They source all of their ingredients from the Northwest, and their location in Carson, WA is famous for their pizza.
- Hood River: considered the âwindsurfing capital of the countryâ. There are also beaches, parks, and scenic views of the Columbia River Gorge.
- Klickitat Canyon Hike: Hike along the longest dam-free river in Washington State.